Bike, Pedestrian, Safe Routes to School and Smart Growth Programs
The Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School Master Plan is a regional plan for San Joaquin County that serves as a guide to planning, developing, and managing a regional bicycle and pedestrian network. The plan aims to increase commuter walking and bicycling, and support active and safe transportation to and from school.
During the first 20-year Measure K program, approximately $7.6 million in Measure K funds were awarded to bicycle projects throughout San Joaquin County. These projects included improving existing bicycle facilities and/or planning, developing, and construction of new facilities. In November 2006, San Joaquin County voters approved the renewal of Measure K for an additional 30 years. The renewal also expanded the existing Bicycle Funding Program to include pedestrian and safe routes to school projects.
During the life of the Measure K program, $65 million in funding will be available to local jurisdictions in San Joaquin County jurisdictions for Smart Growth Incentives. These funds will be available for infrastructure enhancements, such as street calming, walk-able community projects, transit amenities, and alternative modes of transportation that will assist local agencies in better integrating transportation and land use. These funds will be available to support infill development, neighborhood revitalization and downtown improvements.
The policies and procedures that guide the use of Measure K Renewal Smart Growth Incentive Program funds were developed as part of the original Measure K Renewal Strategic Plan that was approved by the SJCOG Board in January 2008.These policies and procedures were crafted by a special committee called the Smart Growth Subgroup which represented local agency Community Development Departments, various community interest groups, and members of the private sector.
2017 - 2021
Measure K Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School
Measure K Smart Growth Incentive Program
At their February 2018 meeting, the SJCOG Board awarded a total of $19.63 million of competitive funding to 21 projects and plans out of a total of 40 applications. A summary of the adopted projects is provided below.
Total Project Cost
Total Measure K Awarded
|First Street Improvements|
|Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons: 3 Locations|
|Warren Avenue Safe Routes to School|
|Church Street Road Diet Project|
|Yosemite Avenue Pavement Improvement Project - Bike Lanes|
|Union Interchange - Multi-use Path|
|Main street Pavement Improvement Project - Bike Lanes|
|Non-motorized Transportation Plan|
|Doak Boulevard Shared-Use Path|
|Lower Stanislaus River Multi-Use Trail|
|Stockton Transit Bike Share Study|
|East Channel Street Streetscape and Connectivity Project|
|Miner Avenue Complete Streets Median Improvements|
|Safe Routes to School Priority Safety Projects|
|California Street Road Diet Phase 1|
|South Airport Way Separated Bikeway|
|Main Street Complete Streets|
|Central Stockton Road Diet and Striping Connections Construction|
|Safe Routes to School Sidewalk Network Completion Project|
|Pacific Avenue Complete Streets Corridor Study|
|Tracy Boulevard Sidewalk|
|View zip files for all 40 projects submitted|
Measure K funding for the Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School Program is derived from 7% of the total Transit Category Funding, which represents 30% of the entire Measure K program. Of the funds available, 60% will be programmed through a competitive process and the remaining non-competitive 40% of funds will be made available for project delivery per a population based formula by individual jurisdiction. Measure K funding for the Smart Growth Incentives Program is anticipated to be $65 million during the life of the Measure K program. These funds are available to local jurisdictions in San Joaquin County.
As part of the adoption of the 2017 Measure K Strategic plan, the Board approved a combined Call for Projects for the Measure K Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School Competitive Program and the Smart Growth Incentive Program in fall 2017. A total of $19.63 million will be available, with $3.85 million will be available for the Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School Competitive Program, $7.78 million for the Smart Growth Incentive Program, and $8 million will be available for either program. Funding will be available for Fiscal Years 2017/18 through 2020/21.
SJCOG staff have prepared the guidelines and application form for this Call for Projects, which contain scoring criteria adapted from previously approved documents and funding programs, including the 2012 Regional Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Safe Routes to School Master Plan, the 2012 Regional Smart Growth | Transit Oriented Development Plan, and the 2017 Active Transportation Program.
Cycle 1 Materials:
View the Call for Projects
View funded and non funded Applications Received
View the Press Release